Track teams win Baker relays

Story by Antonio Adgers, Writer

The Baker University track and field teams excelled in the 74th Annual Baker Relays. The women won with 275.5 points and the men won with 274 points on the day at their first home outdoor meet of the season on April 4 at Liston Stadium.

The domination by the Baker women was led by junior sprinter Billi Pipes, who took first place in the 200-meter dash with a time of 25.26. Pipes also took first place in the long jump with a leap of 5.37 meters. Senior sprinter Tyler Sloan won first place in the 100-meter hurdles race with a time of 15.55. Freshman sprinter Morgan Lober also took first place in the 400-meter dash with a time of 58.86.

The sprinters weren’t the only ones who shined for the women. Sophomore Kendal Holloman took first place in the pole vault at 3.44 meters. Senior Paige Rockers won the triple jump with a distance of 11.38 meters. Junior thrower Jordan Miller won the javelin toss with a distance of 40.09 meters and was also named as the HAAC Field Athlete of the Week a week ago. Freshman Brenda McCollum took first place in the 5,000-meter race walk with a time of 26:56 to finish out the women’s list of first-place finishers.

The Baker men also had a few first places of their own as junior sprinter Dayshawn Berndt won the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.34. Sophomore Birdsong Warren topped the high jump at 1.82 meters. Freshman Corey Peoples threw for 14.21 in the shot put, and senior Josh Peck won the discus toss with a distance of 51.86 meters. Freshman CJ Hess was the other thrower to get first place with a distance of 47.52 meters in the javelin toss.

The Baker track and field teams will be back in action on April 9 and 10 at Emporia State for the Emporia State University Multis. Then Baker will travel to Liberty, Missouri, on April 11 for the Doug Gourley Open.