Track teams take first at home meet

Story by Nathalia Barr, Managing Editor

The 75th annual Baker Relays at Liston Stadium resulted in first-place finishes for both the BU men and women’s track and field teams on Saturday.

“As coach Pitts said, it always feels good to defend your backyard,” senior Jordan Miller said.

The men’s team finished with 162.5 total points, while MidAmerica Nazarene University finished second with 133 total points. The women’s team finished with 152 points, also defeating MNU. Both teams had numerous athletes earn top-five finishes.

Joshua Peck took first in the hammer throw with 47.9 meters and first in the discus throw with 50.7 meters. Peck also took second in shot put. Jesse Austin took second in the hammer throw and discus throw and third in shot put.

In pole vault, Matt Bush took second place, and teammates Seth Ahart and Garrett Howland tied for third.

Greg Henning took second in long jump with a mark of 6.72 meters.

In the women’s field events, Miller took home three top-five finishes. Miller earned first in discus throw with a mark of 40.73 meters. Miller also took second in shot put and fifth in the hammer throw.

“I had many throws that just clicked,” Miller said. “I want to end this season having thrown personal bests in each event, especially since it’s my final season.”

In pole vault, Kendal Holloman took first place, clearing 3.23 meters.

The men’s 4×800 meter relay team finished first with a time of 8:15.79. In the 4×100 meter relay, the men took second, just shy of Graceland’s relay team.

Daniel Rivera finished first in the 1,600-meter race walk and third in the 5,000-meter race walk.

Dayshawn Berndt ran a 50.25 second 400-meter dash for a second-place finish.

The women also had several first-place finishes on the track.

Brenda McCollum took first in both the 5,000-meter and 1,600-meter race walk with times of 26:17.60 and 8:21.17 respectively. Caitlin Apollo finished third in both race walk competitions.

Rosie Hollis took first in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 12:26.43. Alex Garbarino-Herman finished first in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 15.21 seconds, and teammate Killebrew took third. In the 400-meter hurdles, Garbarino-Herman took second place.

Gloria Mares took second in the 400-meter dash right behind MNU’s Victoria Marshall.

The track and field teams will travel to compete at Ottawa University on April 8.

“I saw so many fellow Baker students who came and supported us,” Miller said of the BU meet. “I think it just kind of gave us a spark that will carry into our next several meets.”