Zeta Phi Beta sponsors formal dress drive

Story by Jessica Lane

The Pi Sigma chapter of Zeta Phi Beta sorority is hosting its first dress drive throughout the month of September.

The sorority is collecting a variety of formal wear, from tuxedos and men’s dress shoes to homecoming dresses and heels.

The donations will be accepted through the end of September in the Harter Union. However, Zeta Phi Beta will still collect donations once the month is over. It will accept any size in suits, ties, prom dresses, jewelry and shoes. All contributions will be donated to children in foster care and to some Baldwin High School students.

“If you have something, donate because we’re doing it for a good cause,” Stephanie Nelson, Zeta Phi Beta president, said.

Zeta Phi Beta has teamed up with Baker alumna Stacy Yowell’s foundation, which is based out of Lawrence. Yowell graduated from Baker in 2012 and started the foundation in order to help high school students from lower-income families that cannot afford formal apparel.

“Foster kids just don’t always get the same opportunities as everyone else,” Yowell said.

Panhellenic will also be involved with the fundraiser. It will be setting up totes throughout the other Greek chapter houses to help with the drive.

Sophomore Lauren Allen-Brown, vice president of Zeta Phi Beta, said she enjoys this philanthropic project because of the reactions she sees from the recipients.

“My personal favorite part is seeing the girls walk through the dresses and pick out the ones that they like,” Allen-Brown said. “And seeing their facial expressions and being really thankful that somebody thought about them.”