Music students prepare for spring concerts

The Baker University Music Department has scheduled a variety of concerts to end the spring semester.

STRING RECITAL

Seniors Xiomara Nunez and Erin Wilson will perform a string recital at 3:30 p.m. on April 27 in McKibbin Recital Hall.

PERCUSSION ENSEMBLE

The Baker University Percussion Ensemble, under the direction of Steve Riley, will hold a spring concert at 7:30 p.m on April 28 in McKibbin Recital Hall. Special guests will be members of the Lawrence High School Percussion Ensemble.

STRING CHAMBER MUSIC CONCERT

The Baker University String Chamber Music Concert, under the direction of Erinn Renyer, will feature a variety of classical & contemporary music, including “Skyrim,” “Maple Leaf Rag,” “Legend of Zelda” and an arrangement of “Bohemian Rhapsody.” The Buel A. Hill String Quartet, Lower Strings Choir, Viola Quartet and Jubilate String Quartet will perform during the concert, which will be held at 7:30 p.m. on April 29 in McKibbin Recital Hall.

JAZZ ENSEMBLE

The Baker University Jazz Ensemble, under the direction of J.D. Parr, will host the Chris Grubb Memorial Jazz Scholarship Concert at 7:30 p.m. on May 1 in Rice Auditorium. The concert is free and open to the public, but donations will be collected at the door that contribute toward the Chris Grubb endowed scholarship. The scholarship is given in the memory of Grubb, who died in an automobile accident in 1985 while he was a student at Baker. This year’s concert features guest artist and trombonist Harry Watters, marking his fourth return to the Baker campus in the last 12 years. Watters is a highly sought-after soloist, who was formerly a member of the Dukes of Dixieland and the Army Blues Jazz Ensemble and is now a member of the Washington D.C. Army Ceremonial Band, as well as a Summit Recording Artist and clinician for the Jupiter Instrument Company. In addition to Watters’ appearance, this concert will feature mostly pop, rock, and funk tunes from the Blues Brothers, Aretha Franklin, and Steely Dan. Featured vocalists for the concert are freshman Madison Wendt and junior Morgan Giudicessi.

Six of the seven Irish musicians who will perform at Baker University pose with Director of Bands Ray James (center) during the BU travel interterm to Ireland in March. (Submitted Photo)

SPRING SING

The choral division of Baker University will present Spring Sing at 7:30 p.m. on May 2 at the Baldwin First United Methodist Church. Baker Concert Choir, Chamber Singers and University Community Choir will welcome guests from the Dundalk Institute of Technology in Ireland. Students and faculty from Dundalk will perform traditional Irish music and accompany the choir. In addition, jazz trombonist Harry Watters will be featured on two selections. Baker University choirs are directed by Cathy Crispino and accompanied by Nanette Kraus.

SYMPHONIC WINDS

On May 4, BU will celebrate Ray James’ retirement after 48 years as a band director during the BU Symphonic Winds Guest Artist Concert, scheduled for 3:30 p.m. in Rice Auditorium. The concert will feature guest artists from DkIT. They will premiere Irish composer Eibhlis Farrell’s piece that was written for the Symphonic Winds.

• Music students prepare for spring concerts

Arts & Entertainment

‘A Million Little Things’ has decent plot, relies too much on drama

Arts & Entertainment

“A Star is (truly) Born”

Arts & Entertainment

Real Life or Fantasy: ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’

Arts & Entertainment

A&E Editor offers guide to late night talk shows

Arts & Entertainment

‘Beyond a Text’: New exhibit documents creation of the book

Arts & Entertainment

Local artist displays sculptures in new show

Arts & Entertainment

Theatre performs ‘James and the Giant Peach’

Arts & Entertainment

‘The Nun’ falls short of expectations

Arts & Entertainment

Concert crazy: Hemingson and Todden attend multiple events each year

Arts & Entertainment

Battlefront II attempts to redeem reputation