Men’s golf finishes fifth at HAAC

Story by Antonio, Writer

The men’s golf team hosted the 2015 Heart of America Athletic Conference Men’s Golf Championship May 4-5 at Alvamar Golf Course in Lawrence and took fifth place out of seven teams to end the year.

Culver-Stockton College took first place overall with its own Ryan Keller taking first place individually. Keller shot 223 through three rounds in the tournament and was named to the HAAC All-Conference team.

Although Baker was not represented on the all-conference team, sophomore Christian Bickley tied for 11th place in the tournament, shooting 235 through three rounds to lead all Baker golfers. Junior Grant Grego also made it into the top 15 as he tied for 14th place with a score of 238 through three rounds.

Senior Zach Pickett tied for 21st in the HAAC tournament with a score of 242. Senior Kelley Thompson finished 27th in the tournament shooting 245, and freshman Zach Spencer tied for 29th with a score of 248.

Thompson and Pickett have both played their last golf tournaments as student-athletes of Baker University. Pickett says he will look back on his experience at Baker and be happy about it.

“Golfing at Baker has been a blast,” Pickett said. “Seems like yesterday when I was on my recruiting visit at Baker, and now I’m preparing to graduate in about a week.”

Pickett was not pleased with his performance in the HAAC tournament, but he is looking at the bright side of things as he is on his way to graduation.

“Although I didn’t perform as well as I had hoped, I have so many good memories on the course and with my teammates,” Pickett said. “I have made some great friends over my four years here.”