Homecoming to leave students ‘Shipwrecked in Wildcat Nation’

Story by Bailey Conklin, Sports Editor

SEPT. 27

KC Royals vs. Cleveland | 1:10 p.m. | Kauffman Stadium

SEPT. 28

T-Shirts on Sale – 11 a.m. | 1 p.m. | Harter Union Lobby

Serenades at Greek houses

SEPT. 29

The Last Lecture featuring Professor Susan Emel | 9 p.m. | Rice Auditorium

SEPT. 30

Clash of the Classes – 9 p.m. | Collins Gym

OCT. 1-3

Theater Production ‘Treasure Island’ | 7:30 p.m. | Rice Auditorium

OCT. 2

Athletic Hall of Fame Banquet and Student-Athlete Awards Banquet

6 p.m | Overland Park Marriott

OCT. 3

Alumni Tailgate Luncheon | Noon | Liston Stadium

Baker vs. Peru State Football | 2 p.m. | Liston Stadium

The weather is cooling down, tailgating is back in fashion and school is in session. What’s next for the Baker University campus? Homecoming week. This year’s theme is “Shipwrecked in Wildcat Nation.”

“It’s been a process over the last four years, honestly, trying to evolve homecoming to what I think it has become this year,” Director of Student Life Randy Flowers said.

Flowers’ main goal during homecoming is to celebrate all the aspects of Baker’s campus including students, faculty, greek life and student organizations. These aspects will be specifically highlighted during homecoming week events Sept. 27 to Oct. 3.

For the first time, the Last Lecture, scheduled for 9 p.m. on Sept. 27 in Rice Auditorium, will be included in the homecoming schedule to emphasize faculty and staff accomplishments. Professor of Communications Susan Emel will be the featured speaker.

Student-athletes and alumni will be recognized on Oct. 2 at the Athletic Hall of Fame Banquet and Student-Athlete Awards Banquet. The cost to attend the event is $40 per adult and $15 for children 12 and under.

In previous years, homecoming week mainly emphasized participation by Greek organizations. This, however, has changed with the clash of classes competition.

“We learned a lot,” said Flowers. “The people that participated last year actually enjoyed it.”

The clash of classes consists of participants from each class playing games against the other classes for points. This year’s prize for the winning class is $500.

“My favorite is always the clash of classes,” SAC Vice President of Featured Events Ashley Riniker said. “It should be a lot of fun. We have a lot of new games we are trying out.”

The homecoming football game will kick off at 2 p.m. on Oct. 3, when Baker will face off against Peru State and homecoming royalty will be crowned. Alumni and children, along with students, will be welcome to join by tailgating on a Saturday in autumn.

HOMECOMING COURT and VOTING INFORMATION

Queen

• Lauren Allen Brown
  • Kayla Paul
  • Ryenn Johns
  • Megan Henry
  • Jessica Lane

King

• Alex Baird
  • Bryan Richardson
  • Luke Miltz
  • Preston Beiser
  • Josh Kock

Voting begins on Tuesday, Sept. 29, at 8 a.m. and will continue through Wednesday, Sept. 30, at 4:30 p.m. Students should log in to Moodle and look for a course named “Fall 2015 Homecoming Voting” and then click on the course title. The only working link in the course is a poll to vote for candidates. Coronation will be at halftime of the homecoming football game.