Freshman 15: more fiction than fact

Many freshmen worry about gaining weight when they enter college. The “freshman 15” is a term used to describe the weight students put on during their first year at college. Students and parents often wonder whether it’s a fact or a myth and what exactly causes it.

“I’d never thought I’d gain as much weight as I did in the first week of being at college,” freshman Brenna Thompson said.

Thompson said some factors that contributed to the weight gain were “unhealthy eating habits, stress and lack of sleep.”

Thompson gained 5 pounds within her first week at college; however, she worked to lose the weight quickly by improving her diet and working out.

Freshman Freddie Barnes said that he has actually lost 11 pounds since being on campus.

“I limit myself in the cafeteria to healthy options and stay away from a lot of carbs like pasta and bread. I try to stick with the chefs dish and salads,” Barnes said. “I don’t drink any soda, only water and occasionally a glass of orange juice in the mornings.”

Many students on the Baker campus complain about the cafeteria’s food, saying it is not very tasty and there are not enough healthful options. Barnes contends that Baker students could help keep weight off if the cafeteria served more fish, rice and grilled chicken.

Many factors play a role in weight gain when students enter college.

“Your eating schedule gets thrown off and you tend to snack a lot throughout the day, especially at night,” senior Danielle French said. “One of the most obvious factors would be alcohol consumption. Fast food and eating when you’re bored is definitely a factor for a lot of people. It becomes a social event.”

Students aren’t necessarily pressured to drink, but it becomes the norm for some when they go to college.

According to a study done by the Social Science Quarterly, “freshmen gain between 2.5 to 3.5 pounds, on average, over the course of their first year of college. Compared to same-age non-college attendees, the typical freshman gains only an additional half-pound.”

According to Livestrong.com, as people grow older their activity level often decreases, causing them to lose muscle mass and gain fat. As they grow older, they often need to focus on staying active.

Gaining weight is not always bad. Muscle gain throughout the course of four years can contribute to healthy weight gain, especially for athletes. Baker’s athletic facilities are open to all students with access to weight equipment and other exercise machines. Many students take advantage of the athletic facilities here at Baker, making it easier to keep off the pounds or make sure the added pounds are muscle and not fat.

The freshman 15 is usually a myth. Although students do typically gain weight in college, according to Social Science Quarterly, it’s usually not 15 pounds in one year.