Peach Bowl interterm promises professional experience

Story by Bailey Conklin, Sports Editor

For those looking for an alternative interterm closer to home, plenty of options are available. Here are three of the more unusual 2016 interterms:

• Geocaching: Modern Day Treasure Hunt

• History of Cuban Music

• Introduction to Board Games.

Those with rooms in the New Living Center might not even have to leave their dorm since Introduction to Board Games will be offered in the New Living Center classroom.

Here is a list of all interterm courses being offered.

Baker is offering students an opportunity to travel and earn job experience. While enjoying the sights and sounds of Atlanta, Georgia, students will be able to put down valuable knowledge gained from this trip on their résumé.

Known as an interterm opportunity that is always evolving, Peach Bowl is the chance to travel to the Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl offered by Assistant Professor of Sports Administration Ron Christian. This is the third time this interterm is being offered and the experience changes every year.

“Our focus for this program is really more experience based,” Christian said. “We want students to have opportunities to shadow industry experts to see what they do behind the scenes, and I think, with the stature of the Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl, they are in the loop.”

Christain said the first year the group went, it was strictly media relations focused. The students were able to work the credential check in, two press conferences that they held microphones in, help set up and tear down and distribute press releases.

During last year’s trip, students were a part of the ambassadors program. According to Christian, the group went out to the airport and the Georgia Dome, welcomed fans and handed out promotional items. Included in the trip was a training session with one of the Chick-Fil-A staff members.

“They’ve really been good about welcoming us or adopting us to come and work the event,” Christian said.

This year’s trip will take place from Dec. 28 to Jan. 1. Christian believes this interterm is “rather unique” to sports administration, but thinks students in mass media and business fields could also benefit from this trip.

Christian is looking to include a plethora of activities for the short time in Atlanta such as a tour of the world of coke, meeting with an IMG sports marketing teams, a tour of CNN studios and a tour of the college hall of fame where Baker University is represented.

Last year, the trip hosted six students, two more than the priliminary trip. Christian is looking to take at least 6 students this year and has lowered the price to $1,300, after rebating some money back last year.

For those looking for an alternative interterm closer to home, plenty of options are available. This year’s unusual on-campus interterm classes include Geocaching: Modern Day Treasure Hunt, History of Cuban Music, and Introduction to Board Games. Those with rooms in the New Living Center could have the ability to not have to leave their dorm with Introduction to Board Games being offered in the New Living Center classroom.