KNBU-FM offers edge to students wanting studio skills

Story by Reece Loridon

89.7 FALL 2015 SCHEDULE

• The Payne Train with Catey Payne and Krista Porter – Mondays 6:30-8:30 p.m.

• 56 Sports with Jim Joyner – Sundays 8-10 p.m.

• The MoJo Show with Marcus Jones – Tuesdays 6-8 p.m.

• The All Bright Night Show with Hannah Albright – Wednesdays 6-8 p.m.

• Revolutions Per Minute with Steven Sten debach – Wednesdays 8-10 p.m.

• The Bullet with Justin Bateson – Thursdays 2-4 p.m.

• Revolutionary Rock with Rhonda Applegate – Thursdays 6-8 p.m.

• Alternative Music Weekly with Marissa Smith – Thursdays 8-10 p.m.

Freshman Hannah Albright sets the station to live and drags a music bed onto the play menu. Headphones on and ready to go, she presses the on air button and the show begins.

KNBU-FM 89.7 The Edge is run by Baker University students and broadcasts 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Each student creates and airs a two-hour program each week.

Because each show is run by a different student, each show varies on the topics and music that is played. KNBU plays classic rock, metal, hip hop, and many more genres.

KNBU can also talk sports. Station Manager Jim Joyner runs his own sports broadcast once a week. Joyner does a lot of preparation for his show by outlining what topics he wants to mention and researching those topics on ESPN or other sports sources.

Some days are easier than others. Joyner said that when the Chiefs and Royals are doing well, it is much easier to talk about their seasons and statistics.

Gaining experience on KNBU-FM is much easier here than it can be at other schools because of Baker’s small size.

“Being at KU, people don’t get on the air until they’re in their second, third, forth year sometimes,” Joyner said.

However, BU students can walk in their freshman year and get their own show each week.

Albright said she loves how she has the freedom to talk about whatever she would like and choose the music she would like to play on her show.

She said the All Bright Night Show is “definitely a variety show. I try to be comical because I know that’s what I like to hear when I’m listening to the radio.”

For each show Albright has a student interview and a Baker athletics update. Albright researches each game to talk a bit more in-depth than the ending score.

Albright also gives updates on campus life and other important local or even national news.