BU and Harlaxton students who were in Paris are safe

Story by Sarah Baker, Editor

Two of the six Baker University students studying abroad this fall at Harlaxton College were in Paris during the time of the terrorist attacks but are now safe back on the British campus.

Soon after the attacks, friends, family and the home universities of Harlaxton students received updates from the University of Evansville and Harlaxton to acknowledge that the students were indeed safe.

On Friday, shortly after the attacks, the University of Evansville released a statement on Twitter which stated that all the UE students and Harlaxton students who were currently in Paris were “together, safe and accounted for.”

Sunday, a picture was posted to the Harlaxton College’s Facebook page of the entire group at the St. Pancras railway station on their way back to the manor.

The following week on Tuesday, an entry posted on the school’s student blog, The Lion’s Roar, was written by Kristen Sanders, a Harlaxton student from the University of Evansville who was in Paris independently with friends. It details the events of their trip before, during and after the attacks.

In the blog post, Sanders writes how the college did a great job of ensuring the students were safe, located and accounted for. She said the Harlaxton administration, staff and faculty were in constant contact with students and actively helped them decide the best course of action.

“Those who were on the school trip were all accounted for, but they went through the Alpha list of students who were anywhere in Europe to check to make sure they were alright,” Sanders wrote. “…I could not be more thankful for the college I am studying abroad with for all their help through this time.”

Sanders concluded the entry with the following statement: “This weekend we were all a part of history; it’ll be a day we never forget.”

To protect student privacy, The Baker Orange is not providing specific names of the Baker students who were in Paris.