Men snap five-game losing streak to Benedictine

Story by Jim Joyner, Sports Editor

The Baker men defeated Benedictine 76-71 on Wednesday night in the Collins Center. The loss snapped a five-game losing streak to the Ravens. Coupled with a win by the BU women’s team, for the first time in nearly five years the Baker basketball teams knocked off Benedictine in a doubleheader.

The Baker men came into the night’s game after a tough loss to Grand View 77-72 on Saturday. Their last win against Benedictine came on Feb. 25, 2013, in the last game of the regular season.

The men jumped out to a hot start, propelled by the biggest crowd the Collins Center has seen this season. The Wildcats knocked down 8-15 3-pointers with six different players knocking down trifectas. Baker led Benedictine 34-29 at the break, with seniors Manny Barnes and Nick Wilson connecting on two trifectas for six points apiece.

In the second half Baker knocked down shots from the perimeter, led by Wilson, who scored a career-high 15 points. The Wildcats also knocked 14-27 threes, tying a season-high for trifectas made in a single game.

The Wildcats played 11 different players in the 40 minutes and all 11 players scored. Baker never trailed in the second half.

The Wildcats looked like they had the game wrapped up with 3:40 to play and up 66-58. But Benedictine rallied and eventually cut the score to 73-71 with 14 seconds left on a 3-pointer on the inbounds play. Junior Tyrome Parker then missed the first free throw and made the second to give Benedictine a chance to tie the game.

Knowing that they had three fouls to give, while in the one-and-one, the Wildcats elected to foul Benedictine and put the Ravens to the free-throw line. The scouting report proved right and BC missed the front end of the foul shots. Baker grabbed the rebound and sophomore Nate Guscott sealed the victory with two free throws.

The Wildcats hit 44 percent from the field and nailed 82 percent of their free throws. Barnes was the only Wildcat, besides Wilson, to score in double digits with 11, Parker and freshman Clae Martin both scored 8 and sophomore Brock Mick scored 7 points.

With the win the Wildcats improve to 9-9 overall and 5-6 through the first half of the Heart of America Athletic Conference schedule.

• Men snap five-game losing streak to Benedictine

Men's Basketball

‘Cats end season in Heart tourney

Seniors celebrate last home game with victories

Men's Basketball

Baker downs Benedictine on Senior Day

Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball picks up third-straight win

Men's Basketball

‘Cats defeat Eagles in 85-65 win

Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball improves to 3-0

• Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball starts season 2-0

• Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball falls in Heart conference quarterfinals

Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball advances to Heart tournament quarterfinals

Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball prepares for Heart tournament