Dance finishes second, cheer sixth at regionals

Story by Jenna Black, Photo Editor

The dance team placed second behind the host team, Oklahoma City University, and the cheer team put together a sixth-place finish at the NAIA South Regional Qualifier on Feb. 19 in Oklahoma City.

The cheer team had its best performance of the season, according to senior co-captain Michelle Critchfield. The team added in more difficulty in one of its stunt sections to earn 86 points out of a 100-point scale. The squad hit every stunt in the routine and now will look to add more difficulty to gain more points.

According to senior cheer co-captain Tori Paul, four out of the five teams that finished ahead of Baker were past national champions, so they were pleased with their placement.

The cheer team qualified for the National Cheerleaders Association Championships and will be competing on April 6-10 in Daytona Beach, Florida.

The dance team is no stranger to high placement at large competitions. The lowest the team has placed this season is second. The team’s 105.61 points earned second place, only trailing Oklahoma City by six points.

Junior co-captain Michaela Jamison returned to the competition scene after being out two weeks with an injury. Jamison brings energy and changes the dynamics of the routine, according to freshman Baylee Bartgis.

“We always look to her for guidance and she always has a level head,” freshman Allison Prather said.

With the whole team back in action, the Wildcats have high hopes of qualifying for NAIA Nationals. The dance team awaits the results of the other regional sites, which determines whether or not it will be headed to the NAIA national competition hosted by St. Ambrose University from March 11-12.