‘Don’t Dress for Dinner’ to offer relief before finals

Story by Sarah Baker, Editor

The production will run April 28, 29 and 30 at 7:30 p.m. in Rice Auditorium and will conclude with a 2 p.m. matinee on Sunday, May 1.

The Baker University Department of Music and Theatre will present the farce “Don’t Dress for Dinner,” written by Marc Camoletti, during the last week of April. The play is the continuing story of the main characters from the spring 2013 production of “Boeing! Boeing!” which starred Dante Simmons and Jesse Miller when they were freshmen.

Instructor of Theatre Patti Heiman is the director of “Don’t Dress for Dinner.” Knowing she liked the playwright, she selected this play without the knowledge that it is a continuation of the characters from “Boeing! Boeing!”

“Don’t Dress for Dinner” will keep to the same style and themes as its predecessor: shenanigans, infidelity, narrow-misses and one-liners.

Tom Heiman, design and technical director, said that the show is convoluted and fast-paced. He said that parts of the show remind him of Abbott and Costello’s “Who’s on First” routine.

“We’re very confident that this group can pull this off,” Tom Heiman said. “We have a very strong cast . . . It has a very complex and contrived plot.”

Tom Heiman said that they had to buy a new couch for this play.

“It’s crazy. We’ve bought a new couch because we knew that this one wouldn’t stand up to the amount of times that they’ll be tossed over it,” he said.

This production will fall on the last week of April, two weeks before finals.

“This is the perfect show to come to take your mind off finals,” Tom Heiman said. “You can just leave your thinking caps at home.”