Disc golf gives some students a study break

Story by Jenna Black, Photo Editor

With the stress of finals setting in for many students, some have found a way to fit relaxation and fun into their busy schedules. Junior Dylan Geick and sophomores Austin Keberlein and Blake Barnard have turned to disc golf.

“It’s a different spin on sports. It’s not as competitive as a sport like tennis,” Geick said. “It’s more relaxed, and you’re kind of cheering for everyone to do well.”

Many Baker students are unaware of the 18-hole disc golf course located just two miles down the road at the Baldwin City Lake. Occasionally, you’ll see a few students throwing a Frisbee around on campus, but most are oblivious to the sport. Keberlein said that they rarely see anyone out at the course, especially not students.

With rules similar to regular golf, the goal is to make it in the basket with as few shots as possible. There are distance drivers, fairway drivers, mid-range, and putter discs. The discs differ in size and flexibility. Some discs vary in the direction they turn, while others stay on a straight path. Geick has been playing for about three years, and his collection of colorful discs exceeds over 40.

“He [Geick] showed off his pretty extensive collection of discs and I believe I made fun of him at first,” Keberlein said.

Geick sparked interest in the sport for both Keberlein and Barnard, and now the three get together about three or four times a week for a round of disc golf.

With the recent fetish of Fit Bits and tracking how many steps you get in a day, disc golf can definitely help players reach their daily goal while being outdoors.

“It really racks up the steps on a Fit Bit,” Geick said.

Barnard even guaranteed that a round of disc golf will get you close to 8,000 steps.

“You don’t have to run, so you don’t have to worry about being in shape if you’re not,” Barnard said.

In addition to the course at Baldwin City Lake, there are courses in Lawrence, Olathe, Kansas City and other neighboring areas. The disc golf club at the University of Kansas has 54 members and travels across the nation competing in collegiate disc golf tournaments.

“It’s one of those things you’re not going to go out there on your first try and just get it,” Geick said. “Bring someone who knows a little bit about it to help teach you.”