Women’s soccer falls to Benedictine 3-0

Bailey Conklin

Freshman Erica Esch steps in front of Benedictine defender Hailey McEntee to gain control of the ball during Baker’s 3-0 loss in Atchison on Sept. 21. Image by Bailey Conklin.

Story by Bailey Conklin, Sports Editor

The No. 16 ranked Baker women’s soccer team fell to the No. 9 ranked Benedictine 3-0 in Atchinson on Wednesday. The Wildcats weren’t able to answer after the Ravens scored all three goals in the first half.

An early goal in the sixth minute by Benedictine’s Tori Sanders set the tone for the game. Baker was held to just five shots in the first half.

Baker showed difficulty in maintaining possession in the first half, which led to the six shots Benedictine had in the first half. The Ravens also had five corner kicks just in the first half compared to the Wildcats’ one.

Benedictine struck again in 37th minute with a goal by Liz Intfern assisted by Rosie McShane, which was ollowed by another goal scored by Abbie Hair. Each goal was the first of the season for the three Benedictine players.

Senior Taylor Baum, senior Kady Dieringer, freshman Maria Flores Tome and freshman Amelia Hoelting each had one shot on goal for the Baker Wildcats but couldn’t produce a goal. Goalkeeper Rachel Hunt recorded four saves for Baker.

With the Wildcats’ loss, they are now 1-1 in conference play, 5-3 overall.

Baker will return to Liston Stadium to face Culver-Stockton College on Saturday, Sept. 24, at 6 p.m. Culver-Stockton is 2-0 in Heart of America Athletic Conference play after picking up victories over Benedictine and Clarke University.