Volleyball team earns first Heart win

Volleyball team earns first Heart win

Sophomore Olivia Brees celebrates a point for Baker. The Wildcats won the match in four sets. Image by Elizabeth Hanson.

Elizabeth Hanson

Elizabeth Hanson

Elizabeth Hanson

Story by Nathalia Barr, Managing Editor

The Baker volleyball team earned its first Heart of America Athletic Conference win on Dig Pink Night. The Wildcats defeated Benedictine in four sets (25-17, 21-25, 25-20, 26-24). The win put Baker at 4-14 overall, 1-3 in the Heart.

After a slow start, Baker won the first set by eight points, the largest win margin of the night. Benedictine then took the second set, but the Wildcats fought back to take the match in the third and fourth sets.

Sophomore Gabby Miller had a game-high 11 kills. Senior Haleigh Offield also had 11 kills for the Wildcats, and Olivia Brees and Ashley Sparks added nine and seven kills, respectively. Baker totaled 49 kills compared to the Ravens’ 33.

Miller also led the Baker defensive effort with 12 digs. Sparks had 11 and Brees added 10.

Baker out-blocked Benedictine 8-2 in total team blocks. Brees assisted in four of those blocks, adding to her season total of 48 block assists.

The Wildcats have played through a tough schedule this season, but hope the momentum of this conference win will carry on to the rest of the season.

“We’re confident that because of a tough schedule in the beginning of our season we will be able to move forward and be successful the rest of the season,” junior Madeline McCrary said.

McCrary and the Wildcats will travel to Lamoni, Iowa, to take on the Graceland Yellowjackets on Friday. Graceland currently sits at 10-11 overall and 0-4 in the Heart.

About the Photographer
Elizabeth Hanson, Contributing Writer

Elizabeth is a junior from Leawood. She enjoys black-and-white photography and landscapes. She is a public relations and spanish double-major and also...

• Volleyball team earns first Heart win

Sporting Kansas City vs. Philadelphia Union

• Volleyball team earns first Heart win

Sports

Lovvorn becomes Baker’s first back-to-back wrestling national champion

• Volleyball team earns first Heart win

Sports

Watson becomes race walk national champion

• Volleyball team earns first Heart win

Football

Grossner terminated as head football coach: Thoren set to lead through interim role

• Volleyball team earns first Heart win

Opinion

The championship fate of a coin flip

• Volleyball team earns first Heart win

Sports

Women’s basketball continues strong tradition with new coach

• Volleyball team earns first Heart win

Spirit Squad

Dance team welcomes only male member

• Volleyball team earns first Heart win

Football

Wildcats dominate Missouri Valley Vikings

• Volleyball team earns first Heart win

Sports

Hedrick accredits Baker to his success

• Volleyball team earns first Heart win

Sports

Women’s soccer wins with two last minute goals