Online book sales take toll

Story by Julie Hedrick

This article was originally published prior to June 2, 2013. Due to a change in the content management systems, the initial publication date in not available. 

Buying books online is tempting, and thanks to a new feature on the bookstore Web site, it just got a lot easier.

The new online element shows students the title and the new and used cost of each book needed in each of their classes.

Bookstore Manager Teresa Arnold said since launching this new feature, there have been fewer students in to buy books. However, Arnold still sees plenty of students come in just to write down international standard book numbers to use to search online, she said.

Arnold said the lack of students buying books greatly affects sales and as a result sales so far this semester haven’t been very good.

“Our prices that we have here are not comparable to what they can find online,” she said.

Not only have sales plummeted, but some books that remain on the shelves are non-returnable. Others may have a 10- to 20-percent restocking fee.

Sophomore Heather Jones said she buys books online to get them earlier and to save money. She goes to half.com to purchase most of her books.

“It has pictures so you know for sure if you’re getting the right one,” Jones said.

She used the bookstore’s online shopping center to give her an idea of what she was looking for, then bought them online for much cheaper.

One problem Arnold said students may have when buying online is purchasing the wrong edition. Sometimes, at no extra cost to the bookstore, publishers will send the latest edition of a requested book.

Sophomore Christina Delladio said she usually uses Google to search for her books. She spent about $100 on books this semester. One of her books would have cost that much had she purchased it from the bookstore.

For those who are purchasing online, Delladio recommends starting early.

“The hardest part about it is getting started too late and not having your books on time for class,” she said.

Jones said most of her books arrived within one week and has another reason for buying books earlier.

“You can get them much cheaper the earlier you order them,” she said.

Arnold said Baker also is missing out from students evading the bookstore.

“Baker gets a commission off of everything that we sell in here,” she said.