Soccer team falters in conference play

Story by Kristopher McDonald

This article was originally published prior to June 2, 2013. Due to a change in the content management systems, the initial publication date in not available. 

After reeling off seven straight victories, the Wildcats faltered against conference rival MidAmerica Nazarene University Tuesday in a disheartening 1-0 loss.

Ranked No. 16 in the most recent National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics poll, Baker had hopes of running through its conference season unscathed. The loss drops the team to 11-4 overall and 5-1 in conference play.

Head coach Alan Koch said he couldn’t pinpoint exactly what went wrong against the Pioneers.

“Honestly, I don’t know what happened to us against MidAmerica,” he said. “They are a quality opponent, but we didn’t play great soccer. We are a better team than we showed against them.”

On Oct. 12, Baker traveled to Fayette, Mo., for a conference matchup with Central Methodist University, but was forced to play without captain Ryan McAloon after he received his fifth yellow card of the season Oct. 10 against Avila University.

In the 11th minute of the game, Central Methodist striker Franco Riviera gave the Eagles an early lead, but the resilient ‘Cats couldn’t be deterred.

Sophomore Matt Germain said the ‘Cats started out of the gates slowly.

“They weren’t a great team, and we came out slow which put us in a bad position,” he said.

Freshman Tom Lowndes leveled the match at 1-1 going into the halftime break when he buried a set piece for Baker.

In the second half, Lowndes added another goal, junior Jon Baldwin also found the net and senior Travis Moore put the final dagger in the match when he netted a goal of his own giving the ‘Cats a 4-1 victory.

Despite opening the match slowly, Germain said the team found a way to grind out a win.

“We finally found a way to score and come out with a victory, and winning is all that matters for us right now,” he said.

The ‘Cats hosted the Eagles of Avila Oct. 10 and put on a goal-scoring display for the home crowd.

Senior Josh McDaniel and Germain both netted hat tricks for the ‘Cats with three goals each. While sophomore Kome Okiomah, Baldwin and freshman Spencer Petty each found the net once. The ‘Cats’ two other goals came from own goals credited to Lowndes.

The ‘Cats took the match in lopsided fashion 11-1.

McDaniel said the game against Avila helped the team in many ways.

“It was great to get the win, but it was also great that coach could rest some guys and get some other guys some minutes and experience,” he said.

On Oct. 6 Baker faced Missouri Baptist University in St. Louis, Mo. The Wildcats won a close non-conference match 2-1.

The No. 16 ‘Cats will look to regain their spot atop the Heart of America Athletic Conference standings when they take on heated rival Benedictine College at 7:30 p.m. today under the lights of Liston Stadium.