BU baseball takes 1 of 3 in first series

Story by Kelsey Epperson

A come-from-behind victory in the seventh inning gave the Baker University baseball team its first win of the season in the team’s home-opening series last weekend against the University of Saint Mary.

But first, the Wildcats opened up the 2009 season Friday in one nine-inning game resulting in a 7-1 defeat.

The game went five innings tied at one, until the bats heated up for the Spires in the eighth and ninth innings.

Senior Vidal Nuno started in his senior debut, throwing six innings and allowing five hits leading to just two runs.

Head coach Phil Hannon said he was pleased with the pitching performances from the weekend.

“I think our pitchers did a great job,” Hannon said.

The ‘Cats faced off against the Spires again Sunday in a doubleheader at Sauder Field, this time resulting in a different story.

In game one, senior Andy Hannon ignited the offense with a home run in Baker’s first-at-bat.

Andy Hannon said his home run set a competitive tone for the rest of the contest.

“It was crazy,” he said. “I was hyped for a little bit, and I didn’t know what to do because I haven’t hit one in a while.”

The ‘Cats kept one tally on the board while the Spires manufactured six runs in four innings.

Entering the seventh inning, the ‘Cats trailed 6-2 before making a courageous seventh-inning comeback to take the game 7-6.

Coach Hannon said the team took advantage of the opportunities given to it.

“It shows that we have the offense to come back, and the potency,” he said. “They know that they can do it now.”

Senior Joe Kaup had a strong showing on the mound in his debut, throwing six innings and collecting three strikeouts.

Freshman Justin Ginn grabbed the “W” for the ‘Cats on the mound as he held the Spires to zero runs scored in the sixth and seventh innings.

Andy Hannon said the team’s high energy kept it alive for the comeback.

“That seventh inning everyone was real positive and kept feeding off of everyone else,” he said. “If we just stick with that, then we’ll score runs and good things will happen.”

The bats went cold in game two for both squads, resulting in a low-scoring, defensive game.

The Wildcats recorded just two hits to Saint Mary’s four.

Despite a solid pitching performance by freshman Christopher Cummins, the ‘Cats were unable to execute offensively and fell 3-0.

Cummins, a transfer from Palomar Community College, threw the entire game and said though he was slightly nervous, he was pleased with his performance.

“I felt that I pitched well and executed early and felt that I put our team in a good position to win,” he said.

Baker will look to improve upon its 1-2 record at 1 p.m. Saturday against Park University at Sauder Field. 

• BU baseball takes 1 of 3 in first series

Baker adds eSports team

Billionaire pledges to protect the environment

Campus safety videos in the works

Susan Wade leaves Career Services

Mungano hosts women’s panel

133 Coffee creates a gathering place

Lawrence High School confiscates guns

Students question abbreviated snow day schedule

University allots seniors eight tickets for May commencement

Rogers starts successful moving company