Injuries taking toll on soccer team

Story by Kyle Davis

Baker University’s women’s soccer team lost a road game to Hastings College 1-0 Saturday, giving them a record of 2-2 on the season.

“We didn’t play our game,” freshman Jennifer Sampson said. “We were in a position to win but came out on the bottom end.”

Freshman Haley Oborny took over as goalkeeper as junior Pam Brummit was out again after an injury that occurred last week. Injuries plagued the team again this week as sophomore Mikayla Medlock was taken to the hospital after the game to get 11 stitches after being elbowed in the face by a teammate going for a ball in the box.

Coach Houser said Medlock, Brummit and Alysia King, who suffered a concussion, should be OK for games this weekend.

The ‘Cats’ defense has been a constant strong point throughout the season, not allowing more than one goal a game. Sophomore Kristen Steppe said that the defense was really strong and had a lot of individually strong players who could play different positions.

With Baker’s offense only scoring three goals since the five-goal opening game against Northwestern Oklahoma State University, Sampson said the offense needs to finish as many opportunities as possible.

“Our schedule is full of Hastings’ games that we have to start winning,” Houser said. “We have four big games coming up and we have to be up to the challenge.”

Today, Baker travels to Oklahoma City University then travels to Southern Nazarene University Saturday.