Savor your four years

Story by Nate Michel

This article was originally published prior to June 2, 2013. Due to a change in the content management systems, the initial publication date in not available. 

I woke up today and I was a senior in college. What the hell happened? It honestly seems like yesterday when I moved into Gessner and my only concern was the best method for sneaking a bottle of McCormick’s past the residence assistant’s room.

Now I have to worry about LA 401? I swear, I’m still not even sure what LA 101 was about … or why I had to take it. Well it seems like it might be too late for me, but all you first-years, transfers and underclassmen still have plenty of time to make it big and enjoy yourself here at Baker.

Let a world-weary senior offer you some advice.

Don’t push yourself too hard. I know this probably seems contrary to everything you’ve been told so far, but I’m not talking about academics or athletics. I’m talking about your social agenda. You now have incredible freedom devoid of any parents or curfews. That means you can go out and have fun and party as much as you want, when you want. So many freshman hit the party scene a bit hard their first year and either flunk out or spend the next three years dragging their grade point averages up from the depths of the abyss. I know an epic all-night beer pong run on a Tuesday evening might give you some bragging rights with your friends, but whoever the professor of your 8 a.m. class is won’t be quite as impressed (THAT professor went on sabbatical). Believe me when I tell you that you are going to have plenty of time later in your college career for that kind of stuff.

Get involved with something. Student senate, newspaper, band, intramurals, extreme croquet, it doesn’t matter what it is, just get involved in something.

For those of you who aren’t here on an athletic or extracurricular scholarship, you’ve got to summon the amazing energy needed to leave your dorm room and actually go do something on campus.

If you don’t, you risk losing out on a chance to meet some people who might actually be almost as cool as you are. Plus, someday you might actually want to do something with your life, and a resume that has more to it than just a lame part-time job might be helpful.

Shameless plug: Go through greek recruitment. Just going through guarantees you free food, a good time and a chance to meet a bunch of your fellow students.

Plus, the greek stereotype you’ve seen on TV is bogus. Every house on campus-fraternity or sorority-has development programs to help with academics, service projects to aid the community and social activities that do not simply revolve around the sauce.

Also, go to Harlaxton (College). If I have to explain to anyone why living and studying in an English manor for four months is cool, I think I’ll lose all faith in humanity. Also, people from Indiana are surprisingly entertaining to drink with.

Finally, don’t worry. This is the most important piece of advice I can offer. Don’t worry if you think you might do badly on your first history exam. Don’t worry if you think you won’t know anybody if you go to the College Republicans meeting. Don’t worry about what your significant other back home is up to.

Don’t even worry about screwing up. College is going to be one of the greatest experiences of your life. You are going to learn amazing things from (mostly) smart people, you are going to get ready for the real world, and yeah, you are going to be at some kick-ass parties.

You are going to make some mistakes too, but that’s just part of the process. Just enjoy it. Work hard, do what you can and savor the experience. Trust me; it is going to go by way faster than you think.