Cross country teams place seventh, 15th at Mid-States Classic

Story by Kyle Davis

The Baker men’s and women’s cross country teams placed seventh and 15th at the Southwestern College Mid-States Classic in Winfield Saturday. There were 22 teams at the meet.

Freshman Corinna Papps was the top runner for the ‘Cats, finishing in 27th place overall, with a 5K time of 19:43. Freshman Lindsey Brown, who was ill for most of the week, ran a time of 19:59 to finished 34th.

On the men’s side, Freshman Corey Clark finished in 57th overall, with an 8K time of 27:17.

“This year, these guys are obtaining knowledge and experience,” head coach Zach Kindler said. “We’ve got the opportunity to be top-three in the conference, which we haven’t done here for quite a while.”

Freshman Eric Larson did not race after being diagnosed with swine flu. Kindler said he is ready to start training and hopefully will respond well.

The Baker women’s team is ranked second in the conference, only behind Lindenwood University, and the men’s team is ranked fifth. Lindenwood’s women’s team finished fourth at the Mid-States Classic.

The Wildcats will have a week off before competing in the HAAC Championships on Nov. 7.

“The whole purpose to have that weekend off is to just freshen their spirits, their minds, their bodies and just get us, overall, 100 percent ready to go,” Kindler said.

The last time the women’s team won the HAAC Championships was in 2002, marking the third straight year they had won the conference.