Men’s soccer: Baker 4, Morningside College 0

Story by Kyle Davis

Baker men’s soccer team won its second game in a row, beating Morningside College 4-0 Saturday at North Park.

The Wildcats have outscored their opponents 9-0 in their last two games, also beating Culver-Stockton College 5-0 Sept. 24. Baker improved its record to 5-2-1 on the season.

Baker’s first goal came in the 20th minute as senior Gerard Grehan got past the defenders and then beat the goalie to give Baker the lead. This goal gave the Wildcats a 1-0 lead at halftime.

“I thought we came out really strong,” senior Matt Hodges said.

Baker found the net three more times in the second half. Two of these goals came from sophomore Jacob Chiarelli, the first in the 66th minute and the second goal coming just seven minutes later in the 73rd minute. Teaching Assistant Christoph Schreiner scored the fourth and final goal of the game just over a minute later.

The Wildcats attacked Morningside on the offensive end, outshooting the Mustangs 25-9. Sophomore Alex Burton recorded one save in the shutout win. Sophomore Andrew Dale came in at goalkeeper in the second half and had three saves.

Many of the Baker players saw playing time during the game.

"Everybody on the bench can come in and play at anytime," Burton said. "That's huge."<br/>In the last two games, Baker has more than doubled the amount of goals it scored in the previous six games, 9-4. Hodges said the team has been working on finishing scoring opportunities in practice for the last couple of weeks.In the last two games, Baker has more than doubled the amount of goals it scored in the previous six games, 9-4. Hodges said the team has been working on finishing scoring opportunities in practice for the last couple of weeks.
In the last two games, Baker has more than doubled the amount of goals it scored in the previous six games, 9-4. Hodges said the team has been working on finishing scoring opportunities in practice for the last couple of weeks.

"Once you get the first goal, they just keep coming," freshman Steven Stewart said.<br/>The Wildcats fell out of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Top 25 last week after losing to defending NAIA national champion Azusa Pacific University. The team has been ranked as high as No. 6 in the country earlier in the season. Since becoming unranked, Baker has not allowed a goal.The Wildcats fell out of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Top 25 last week after losing to defending NAIA national champion Azusa Pacific University. The team has been ranked as high as No. 6 in the country earlier in the season. Since becoming unranked, Baker has not allowed a goal.
The Wildcats fell out of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Top 25 last week after losing to defending NAIA national champion Azusa Pacific University. The team has been ranked as high as No. 6 in the country earlier in the season. Since becoming unranked, Baker has not allowed a goal.

“I feel like if we get back in the rankings, we will know how to handle it this time,” Hodges said.

There is currently a tie at the top of the Heart of America Athletic Conference between Baker and Benedictine College. Both the Wildcats and the Ravens have a 5-2-1 record and are 1-0 in the conference.

Burton said with all the experience the members have, they can go into conference knowing they can play at a high level.

Baker will face MidAmerica Nazarene University, 5-3 on the year, at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Liston Stadium and look to go 2-0 to start conference play. The Wildcats will then face HAAC opponent Missouri Valley College at 8 p.m. Saturday at Liston Stadium.