Volleyball swept at Grand View

Story by Hayley Morrical, Writer

The Wildcats lost all four matches this weekend in Des Moines, Iowa, at the Grand View University Tournament. This series of losses brings the Wildcats overall record to 15-12.

The ‘Cats started out against Ashford University on Friday evening. After losing the first set, the team fought back to win the second and fourth, but wasn’t able to secure the win in five sets. BU lost 23-25, 25-23, 16-25, 27-25, and 9-15.

At the net, junior Natalie Minchow led Baker with five blocks and 15 kills. Sophomores Haleigh Offield and Hannah Bettge trailed Minchow but cracked the double-digit kill mark with 12 each. Senior libero Sara Slater recorded 28 digs.

Following its first loss, Baker took the first set from Missouri Baptist University, 29-27. The Wildcats lost steam after that, however, dropping the final three sets, 18-25, 16-25, 16-25.

Minchow dominated yet again with nine kills, four blocks, and four aces. As a whole, the team’s hitting percentage ended at .063 with 34 kills compared to a 0.192 figure from Missouri Baptist, which had 53 kills.

Baker also took Viterbo University to four sets in its first match on Saturday. After losing the first set, 12-25, the Wildcats almost reversed the result as it took the second set, 25-13. The team’s offense was shut down in the last two sets, in which Baker fell 16-25 and 17-25.

In the final match, which was against Jamestown University, the Wildcats battled to stay close, but lost by less than four points each set, 21-25, 23-25, 22-25.

Baker looks to turn around its losing streak and gain a conference win at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Collins Center against Culver Stockton College.