Women’s soccer starts conference season 3-0

Story by Levi Blaylock, Writer

The No. 18 ranked women’s soccer team beat Culver-Stockton, 4-0 on Saturday afternoon. This marks the third-straight match that the Wildcats have shut out a Heart of America Athletic Conference opponent.

“Not having conceded any goals in the last three games is a great feeling,” junior Taylor Baum said.

In the 20th minute, junior Krista Hooper scored the first goal of the match. Hooper scored again in the 90th minute of the match. Sophomore Kady Dieringer and junior Katie Hibbeler also scored for the Wildcats.

Hibbeler has been playing lights out on the offensive end lately and her teammates have noticed.

”The entire team has been doing really well lately,” Baum said. “Defensively, I think Oaklee (Jones) has been very strong and consistent. Katie Hibbeler has also been a key player as she is leading our conference in assists.”

Baker’s defense has been the strength of the team this year, allowing a mere seven goals in 10 total games.

“The key to our defense is great communication, starting in the right places, and our commitment to win,” junior Megan Johnson said.

Baum also commented on the defensive effort.

“Everyone is putting in their best effort and working together,” Baum said. “If we lose the ball, everyone is immediately working as hard as they can to win it back.”

Moving forward, the Wildcats hope to keep this streak alive and steadily move up the rankings to become one of the top teams in the country.

“We need to keep working hard like we have been and continue to raise the bar and expect more from ourselves,” Baum said. “I think we’re a very strong team and we still have a lot more to prove.”

Baker will return home to face No. 6 ranked Benedictine on Wednesday, Sept. 30, at 6 p.m. inside Liston Stadium. This game is very important to the Wildcats as they hope to capture their fourth straight win. Both Baum and Johnson are looking forward to Saturday’s contest.

”This game is extremely important as were going to try to prove a point at the national level,” Johnson said.

“The Benedictine game is huge. It’s going to be a great opportunity for us to prove ourselves even more,” Baum said. “We’re already rivals, but I think both of us being ranked amps up the intensity even more. This would be a great game to fill the stands for!”