El Patron finds success in Baldwin City

After months of expectancy, the highly anticipated Mexican restaurant El Patron is finally open in Baldwin City.

All last spring, students and community members walked down Eighth Street, saw the “opening soon” sign, and realized their burrito cravings would have to wait for awhile. But when weeks turned into months of waiting, some students wondered if the restaurant was even going to open.

“We didn’t have the time or the personnel to open the restaurant during the school year,” El Patron owner Beto Aguilar said. “Plus, we wanted to open after Baker was out of school so that we could work out the kinks and figure out a successful system.”

The system they have figured out has been a success. The 14-table restaurant is packed to capacity almost every night, not only with first-time customers eager to try the new cuisine, but also a set of regulars.

El Patron boasts a menu full of Mexican classics such as burritos, enchiladas and quesadillas, but there is also a full bar menu. Aguilar says that for now, there will be no drink specials in order to keep the flow of patrons steady.

In addition to the 14 tables inside the small downtown restaurant, El Patron is planning on adding a set of outdoor tables. Aguilar knows how in-demand his restaurant is and hopes to allow more guests this way. Aguilar is also in the process of finding a bigger and more suitable space for his business.

He also knows that once Baker starts up in the fall, he will be getting even more business.

“I’m really looking forward to school starting,” Aguilar said. “This place is close to my heart because I built it, and if I can share it with the more people, the better. Everyone can walk here and everyone is happy and friendly. I think students will love it.”

The restaurant, located on Eighth Street, next to Joy Garden, is “open until close” every day, and will be hiring students in the fall.