RON CHRISTIAN – Assistant Professor of Sports Administration

With nearly two decades of work experience under his belt, Ron Christian is now eager to make the transition to a college professor.

“It’s always been a goal of mine,” Christian said. “But as I was going through my masters program I became inspired by the way my professors taught and related things so well to the field that I actually started looking at jobs when I was going through that program.”

Christian will now serve as an assistant professor of sports administration, teaching full-time at Baker while also continuing his own education as a Ph.D. candidate at Kansas University.

After finishing his undergraduate degree, Christian decided to begin working in college athletics instead of immediately pursing a master’s degree.

Among other things, Christian has worked as a sports information director and an assistant athletic director and is now ready to share his experiences with students in the classroom.

“I think one of the unique characteristics I can bring as a professor is I’ve been on both sides,” Christian said. “I’ve been that assistant athletic director looking for an intern. So I hope I can be a good liaison there and try to align motivated students with great opportunities.”

In addition to teaching sports leadership, sport management, introduction to sports administration and the senior seminar for the sports administration majors in the fall, Christian also hopes to provide an interterm class that might involve traveling to the site of a bowl game.

“I just see great opportunity here and that’s what drew me to Baker with being close to Kansas City and close to KU. I think a lot of things could unfold here,” he said.