Wildcats push win streak to seven

Story by Sara Bell, Editor

After starting its first two weeks on the road, the Baker University volleyball team returned to Collins Center in style Friday and Saturday.

Baker Invitational Results

Baker vs. John Brown – W

23-25, 24-26, 25-14, 25-16, 15-12

Baker vs. Friends – W

25-13, 25-18, 25-23

Baker vs. Benedictine – W

25-11, 25-23, 25-20

Baker vs. Sterling – W

25-15, 26-24, 25-8

The Wildcats entered the Baker Invitational on a three-game win steak, and BU built on that momentum by going 4-0 in its home tournament.

The underclassman duo of sophomore middle hitter Danielle French and freshman setter Hannah Bettge continue to be a staple for the Wildcats. Both players rank in the top 26 in the NAIA in two respective categories.

Bettge ranks 17th in average assists per game (10.33) and has the 21st most assists in the country (310.) French is 24th in total blocks (36) and 26th in average blocks per game (1.20.)

During the Wildcats’ 4-0 run in the Baker Invitational, Bettge dished out 129 assists. Meanwhile, French contributed four solo blocks and 36 kills.

Senior Crystal Simon also recorded 34 kills on Friday and Saturday to help BU push its win streak to seven. Although BU’s hitters clicked at the net, its defense also played a critical role in the ‘Cats success.

Baker had more than 300 digs during the tournament, led by the efforts of senior libero Renata Dill. The defensive specialist has 153 digs on the season, pushing her career total to 799.

The Wildcats will put these numbers to the test this week as the team begins conference play against Graceland University on Tuesday in Lamoni, Iowa. The Yellowjackets own a 10-2 record and have the third most service aces in the NAIA. The match is scheduled to begin 7 p.m.