Convocation addresses university changes

Story by Sara Bell, Editor

In its 155th year, Baker University has established many rich traditions. While BU will continue to embrace these customs, the university has many changes in store.

As discussed during the 2013 Convocation on Tuesday, Baker’s administration and faculty members are looking to ensure the university continues to evolve.

These changes include renovations to campus buildings, welcoming new administrators and introducing new academic initiatives across BU’s campuses.

“Change is inevitable. Change is all around us,” Student Senate President Owen Lewis said. “We must not fear it. We must embrace it and use it to our advantage.”

In his Convocation address, Lewis acknowledged the accomplishments of University President Pat Long and Minister to the University Ira DeSpain, who will retire at the conclusion of the academic year.

“(Long and DeSpain) have left some mighty big shoes to fill,” Lewis said. “The campus I get to love and call home is a testament to the legacies you have created and will leave behind for many more to experience.”

While introducing Long before her State of the University address, Brian Posler, executive vice president of academic affairs and dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, said the president is looking to ensure her last year is the finest yet.