‘Intoxicated Olympics’ warns students

Residents of the New Living Center were able to test out what playing hopscotch might feel like after a drink or two during an event called “Intoxicated Olympics.”

Instead of actually drinking alcohol, though, those in attendance were able to put on a pair of drunk goggles and attempt to perform various tasks.

Sunday’s event marked the second year that the NLC resident assistants have hosted the event in the living center’s courtyard.

β€œThe purpose of this event is for students to get an idea, in a safe way, of how physically incapacitated they are when they are intoxicated,” said Megan Rosa, senior resident assistant.

Rosa said some students are surprised at how much their vision can be affected by even just a little alcohol.

Freshman Kiana Turner attended the event and said the most difficult task to perform with the goggles was hopscotch.

β€œ(I learned) do not drink so much, and do not even drink and walk. I was turning in circles,” Turner said.

Freshman NeNe Minor was curious about the Intoxicated Olympics so she decided to attend the event.

Minor also thought the hardest task was trying to hopscotch with the goggles on. She said she felt both dizzy and off balance while wearing the goggles, and she agreed that this event could be beneficial to students when they make choices about alcohol.