Homecoming week to promote school spirit

Fifteenth time’s the charm, right?

The Baker University football team’s 14-game losing streak against MidAmerica Nazarene University dates back to 1999. But on Oct. 5, the Baker community is hoping to end that streak and “Party like it’s 1999” with a win over the Pioneers during this year’s homecoming football game.

Homecoming Royalty

Queen Candidates

Nancy Delgado

Alyssa Paul

Dominique Vieyra

Sierra Wallace

Tyler Sloan

King Candidates

Owen Lewis

Ryan Bearrick

Ben Sobek

Ulrich Johanning

Garret McPherson

The days leading up to the event are a chance for students to come together, something Student Activities Council President Sierra Wallace finds important.

“Homecoming week is a tool to promote school spirit and to have competitions between student organizations,” Wallace said. “It gets us hyped for the game, which we will win this year. It just makes us proud to be at Baker and proud to be a Wildcat.”

Throughout the week, student organizations will compete in a series of challenges in order to be crowned the winner of homecoming. The schedule for “Party like it’s 1999” homecoming is as follows:

On Monday night, teams will be decorating the windows on the south side of the Harter Union.

Tuesday will feature the BU Showdown, with musical chairs, Where’s Wowzer?, and keeping with the 90s theme, a Bop It competition and “Pokemon, gotta catch ‘em all.”

“Game night is going to be a lot of fun,” Ashley Riniker, SAC featured events coordinator, said. “We’ve really tried to incorporate the theme throughout, which I believe is really fun and unique. Everyone loves the ’90s.”

Wednesday night, four members from each team will compete in the Baker Feud, properly named after the popular game show, Family Feud. The first round of questions will be about ’90s trivia, the second round of questions will be ’90s song trivia and the third will be questions about Baker. There will also be a costume contest on this night.

Thursday night is skit night, when teams are given a prop the day of the show and are told to incorporate it into their skit. Teams are judged on school spirit, creativity, entertainment, teamwork and use of prop.

“Skit night is my favorite because you get a connection to the theme while having lots of fun and humor,” Director of Student Life Randy Flowers said. “Not one is the same; all of them are different. It’s interesting to see how all the teams implement the prop.”

There are no events Friday, but Saturday will include the football game and the announcement of royalty and homecoming team winners.

Flowers hopes the week brings about creativity, a bit of competition and a lot of school spirit.

“Homecoming just gives us all time for one week to hang out with each other outside of the class and the practice field,” Flowers said. “It gives us time to think about the connection we have with everyone, and that’s Baker University.”