Awareness week to educate community on domestic violence

The Omicron chapter of Alpha Chi Omega sorority is working to promote domestic violence awareness. Oct. 14-19 will serve as the sorority’s week to spread awareness on campus and host events for those in the Baker and Baldwin City communities.

Domestic Violence Awareness Week Schedule

Monday – “Why Doesn’t She Just Leave,” presented by Baker alumnae Sarah Pembrook at 8 p.m. in Owens A.V.

Wednesday – Self defense class taught by Liz Minson, a freshman Alpha Chi Omega member, at 9 p.m. The location is still being determined.

Thursday – Presentation by GaDuGi SafeCenter at 8 p.m. in Owens A.V.

Saturday-Sunday – Booth at the Maple Leaf Festival

Events scheduled for Monday, Wednesday and Thursday include a self-defense class and two guest speakers. The sorority will also have a booth to raise money for the Willow Domestic Violence Center in Lawrence at the annual Maple Leaf Festival.

“I would just love for people to come to our events because a lot of times it’s just us, and so I think that would be my goal to really promote it on campus and have a good turnout from other students,” Claire White, vice president of philanthropy, said.

White said she will be helping to spread awareness for the cause throughout the entire month, and that this particular week was selected mainly for scheduling purposes.<br/>

“I really like the educational aspect because I think domestic violence is kind of taboo and people do not like to talk about it, but it is a really big deal,” White said.

A donations drive will also be part of this week. Anything donated will be given to the Willow Domestic Violence Center.

According to the Alpha Chi Omega national website, the organization’s philanthropic work is broken down into three parts: 1) to serve families or individuals who have been affected by domestic violence by donating to shelters, 2) to educate the members of the sorority about healthy relationships, 3) to educate others about domestic violence and its impact.

Carly Berblinger, a junior Alpha Chi Omega member, said the message is about maintaining healthy relationships and learning what a healthy relationship looks like.<br/>

“The thing I love most about our philanthropy is the fact that it is associated with the local domestic violence shelter and that we get to work with women in Lawrence and the Douglas County area who are affected by domestic violence,” Berblinger said.