BU defense silences CS-C

Story by Chad Mullens

Baker University linebacker Darrick Smith grabbed a school-record four interceptions in the No. 11 BU football team’s first shutout victory of the season. Smith’s performance helped BU defeat Culver-Stockton College 39-0 on Saturday.

The first half did not hint at a blowout, as Baker held a 13-0 lead at halftime.

During the first half, senior quarterback Jake Morse went 12-18 for 180 yards and a touchdown. More than half of those yards came on one play, with Morse throwing a deep pass to freshman Clarence Clark that went 98 yards for a touchdown.

Morse went out with a shoulder sprain in the third quarter and was replaced by freshman Adam Lomenick, who went 4-10 for 48 yards and an interception.

Baker had 498 yards of total offense, 274 of which came on the ground, led by senior Dillon Baxter’s 80 yards on 13 carries.

The BU offense found a spark in the second half, scoring 19 points. Lomenick had a 12-yard touchdown run to extend Baker’s lead to 32-0 in the fourth quarter. Another rushing touchdown by freshman Adonis Powell brought the game to its final margin.

Freshman defensive end Adam Novak had a breakout game, recording two sacks. He also intercepted a tipped Culver-Stockton pass and took it 79 yards to the end zone. It was one of five interceptions the Wildcats’ defense had on the day.

Baker is now 5-1 on the season and will face the 4-2 Central Methodist University Eagles at 2 p.m. Saturday at Liston Stadium.