Students prepare for interterm courses

With most Baker University students enrolled for the spring semester, some have also selected to take an interterm course.

Among the courses offered are “Fundamentals of Fly Fishing” instructed by Professor of Philosophy Donald Hatcher and “Romantic Relationships and Film” taught by Assistant Professor of Communications Kimberly Schaefer.

“I try to make my interterm in light with the ideas of interterm so students can take a class that they would never get in the regular sections (of course options),” Schaefer said.

During her course, students will discuss topics concerning relationships such as intimacy, dating, breakups, divorce and assault.

“Students can not get that (discussion) in normal classes during the semester, so I try to provide things that (make) students more well rounded as a person,” Schaefer said.

Hatcher said students could be inclined to take his interterm course because they do not have to write papers or read much.

“I seriously hope that they are all very interested in learning how to throw a fly rod and how to tie a number of beautiful fly patterns, and when they are, it is a great class,” Hatcher said.

Although he has never gone fly fishing, freshman Tate Lancaster chose to take Hatcher’s course.

“My grandpa talked about fly fishing a lot so I thought I would take (this class),” Lancaster said.

Freshman Keaton Anchors chose to take Associate Professor of Physics Ran Sivron’s “Hebrew” course to fulfill one of his general education requirements

“My advisor said I needed a foreign language, and I saw that (course) and she said it counted,” Anchors said.

The offered travel interterms include “Performance Tour of Ireland,” “Vienna, Prague and More!,” “Spanish in Salamanca, Spain,” “Yucatan Adventure,” and “Introduction to Scuba Diving.”