Murray ‘natural fit’ for university presidency

Story by Sara Bell, Editor

Lynne Murray, the 29th president of Baker University, had to fight back tears as she officially accepted her new position today.

“This is a lifetime achievement, which is why I got choked up,” Murray said. “It’s a dream — it’s something that I never thought would happen for me. It happened because of hard work, but again, you have to believe in God and believe that the perfect fits come together. I don’t think I would work anywhere else as well as I will work here. And this is just us, I feel it.”

During Thursday’s announcement, Murray held back her emotions for a moment as she addressed members of the press and the Baker community. She said these emotions developed because the new position provides her with an opportunity to give back to the individuals who made a difference in her undergraduate life.

“I do believe that God gives us all gifts, and I’m just attracted to people. I do care about people, I just genuinely do,” Murray said. “I’ve always felt the sense that my role in this life is to give back. And that’s why I got emotional (during the press conference) … Just people who had given to me when (I was a student) that was really neat to just pay it forward.”

While Murray is excited about the new job opportunity, she understands her focus will soon switch to the responsibilities of the 29th presidency.

“I’m still elated, but what’s hit each day following has been just the gravity of the position and the responsibility that this position brings, so that’s not lost on me,” Murray said. “So I want to enjoy this day and this moment because I know it’s going to get hard fast … I’m elated, but I just want to do my best. I just want to work hard.”

She will take over for current University President Pat Long following Long’s retirement on June 30.

Murray currently serves at the vice president of development, alumni & international relations for Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C., which is a leading institution for deaf and hard of hearing students. In this role, she works in fundraising and advancement efforts and raised more than $79 million for scholarships, academic programs and faculty excellence. Prior to her time at Gallaudet, Murray worked for Georgetown University and Johns Hopkins University.

Hoot Gibson, chair of the presidential search committee, is confident transitioning to Murray’s leadership is the right step for Baker University.

“She’s not going to miss a beat,” Gibson said. “And I told her, Pat has been just tremendous for Baker, has done an incredible job for this university, but Dr. Murray is just going to take that and run with it and take that to another higher level.”

Long agreed, saying “I think we have chosen exactly the right person … I couldn’t be more pleased.”

Rich Howell, chairman of the Board of Trustees, said Murray’s proven track record in fundraising and advancement efforts made her a front-runner in the presidential search process, but what set her apart was her enthusiasm for students and members of the campus community.

“Most importantly, she is a kind individual with a passion for people, particularly students,” Howell said. “She and her husband Jeff are natural fits for this iconic Kansas institution.”

Murray said it is indeed the people of Baker and its surrounding community that will motivate her in this position. She is also excited about the direction the university is headed and believes her experience in fundraising and advancement will strengthen Baker even further.

“I know what my talents are. I know what my strengths are,” Murray said. “If (the Board of Trustees and the search committee) wanted somebody who was going to run the faculty side in terms of someone with deep knowledge who’s come up through faculty ranks, it’s not me. You want somebody who’s going to raise money and raise a profile – I got this.”

Murray plans to return to campus throughout the spring semester in preparation for the beginning of her term on July 1.