‘Six Characters’ production challenges actors

Eleven Baker University students will appear on stage for the production of “Six Characters,” an adaptation of the play “Six Characters in Search of an Author.”

The show begins at 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 27-March 1 and at 2 p.m. on March 2 in Rice Auditorium.

“Not only does this cast have great chemistry, but everyone in it is very talented,” junior Joseph Majchrzak said. “I often find myself in awe of what they can do, which in turn motivates me to work harder, to make sure I’m not dragging the team down.”

Sophomore MacKenzie Sammons will play Madame Pace and believes the show has the potential to entertain a large audience.

The original “Six Characters in Search of an Author” tells the story of unfinished characters, who are searching for a someone to finish their story.

“This is not a show for children,” Sammons said. “I think anyone who is interested in having their mind blown would appreciate this show.”

For Majchrzak, this is his first year performing on stage, rather than working exclusively behind the scenes. The play is a favorite of his and he is “blown away” that he gets to be a part of the performance acting as the father character.

“The most challenging thing for me is that this is by far the biggest and definitely the most intensive role I’ve ever had,” Majchrzak said. “It’s not easy to keep so many lines memorized, plus the intent behind each one, knowing my cues, and my positioning at each specific moment in the show, among other things. It definitely isn’t easy, but it’s also very rewarding”

For freshman Emi Kniffin, who plays the stepdaughter, the most difficult aspect is connecting with her role.

“It will be challenging for me to play a character with such a troubled past, because it is hard for me to connect to that,” Kniffin said. “I usually think of things from my past in order to act out certain emotions, but I had an awesome childhood, so it will be difficult to portray someone with so many troubles.”

Sammons hopes to see many Baker students and faculty in the audience of each performance to experience what she considers to be a not so typical Baker show.

“I believe that the show will go great. Better than great, in fact,” Majchrzak said. “Anyone looking to see something out of the ordinary will not leave this show dissatisfied.”