Baseball team drops home opener

Story by Chad Mullens, Writer

The Baker University baseball team is now 3-7 on the season after winning three out of four games at Wiley College on Friday and Saturday, then losing twice to seventh-ranked Sterling College on Monday in Baldwin City.

The Wildcats swept Wiley College on the first day of action, winning the first game 4-1 and the second game 4-3. Senior Josh Zach was BU’s star of the first game, going 3-3 with two doubles. Senior pitcher Jimmy Gricol also had a standout performance, allowing only one earned run in six innings. The Wildcats hit two home runs in the second game, a two-run blast by sophomore Charles Coleman in the top of the second and sophomore Cort Brennan’s game-winning solo shot in the top of the ninth.

Baker split the second day of games, winning the first 7-1 and losing the second 5-1.

BU started its home season Monday, losing two games to the Sterling College Warriors. The Wildcats’ offense sputtered against the Warriors, managing only five hits in the two games combined.

In the first game, the Warriors took a 3-0 lead after the second inning, and used a 7-0 fifth and a three-run sixth to end the game at 13-0. BU starting pitcher Brett Lechien was credited with the loss after allowing eight runs through 4.1 innings.

During game two, Sterling scored once in the first inning, and Baker tied with a run off of an RBI single by freshman Lake Johnson in the fifth. The Warriors answered back with three runs at the top of the sixth and put the game away with pitchers Kurtis Sargent in the sixth and Matt Jackson in the seventh.

The Wildcats were originally scheduled to take on Midland University on Friday and Saturday, but the series was canceled due to potential inclement weather. The team’s next doubleheader is scheduled against the University of Saint Mary at 1 and 3 p.m. on March 5 in Leavenworth.

• Baseball team drops home opener

Baseball

Central Methodist sweeps Baker

• Baseball team drops home opener

Baseball

Baseball goes 3-3 during spring break

• Baseball team drops home opener

Baseball

Wildcats look to end losing streak

• Baseball team drops home opener

Baseball

‘Cats fall in season-opener

• Baseball team drops home opener

Baseball

Baseball falls in season-opening doubleheader

• Baseball team drops home opener

Baseball

‘Cats host Senior day and Strike Out Sarcoma

• Baseball team drops home opener

Baseball

Baseball loses home series against No. 5 CMU

• Baseball

Baseball drops series to Culver-Stockton

• Baseball

Rain disrupts spring sports schedules

• Baseball team drops home opener

Baseball

Baseball drops three games against MNU