Baseball team sweeps home series

Story by Chad Mullens, Writer

The Baker University baseball team recorded two shutout victories on Sunday to improve to 5-9 on the season.

In the first game of its two-team doubleheader, the Wildcats defeated Bethany College 1-0. The game went scoreless through the first four-and-a-half innings before junior Taylor Whittum reached home off sophomore Gabe Greenbaum’s sacrifice fly.

After the lone score of the game, sophomore starting pitcher Seth Jones held the lead with ease, giving up only one hit in the sixth and seventh innings combined, while striking out four and picking off a runner at first. Jones struck out six in a seven-inning complete game, giving up only four hits and walking just one.

In the second game, a 3-0 win over Park University, Baker’s pitching prevailed once again. This time, junior Ryan Lasneske pitched a complete-game shutout, not allowing a single Pirate to advance past first base. The game was scoreless until the bottom of the fourth, when sophomore Ethan Jacks scored off a Whittum double down the left field line. Whittum then scored off a single from sophomore Neil Boyce.

The Wildcats scored again in the sixth, when freshman Lake Johnson reached home on a Greenbaum single. Lasneske also allowed just four hits in his seven innings, striking out three and walking none.