Wildcats fall 78-72 in Sweet 16

Story by Sara Bell, Editor

The Baker University women’s basketball team ended its record-setting season with a 78-72 loss to Bethel University in the Sweet 16 of the NAIA national tournament Friday morning in Frankfort, Ky.

Eleven missed free throws and 22 turnovers hindered the Baker Wildcats, preventing the program from its first trip to the Elite Eight.

“Bethel’s a tremendous team. We just didn’t make enough plays in the second half and that was the difference,” Head coach Ben Lister said in a post-game press conference. “But two really good teams battling there, and we just ended up coming up short.”

Foul trouble also hurt Baker down the stretch, as starters sophomore Macy Wallisch and junior Kyrstie Ehm played just 23 and 25 minutes, respectively. Despite the limited playing time, Wallisch posted a double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds. The Heart of America Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year also had five blocks during the contest. The 6-foot-3-inch center couldn’t shut down Bethel’s offense completely, though, as three key players combined for 66 of Bethel’s 78 points.

Bethel sophomore guard Jackliann Street was unstoppable in the second half, scoring 21 of her game-high 27 points after halftime. Junior Tayla Foster and senior Porsha Harris also chipped in 21 and 18 points, respectively.

HAAC Player of the Year BriAnna Garza led the Wildcats offensively for the second-straight game, scoring 25 points. Fellow senior Shea Shomeaker chipped in 11 points. Garza, Shoemaker and Ciarra Washington are the lone seniors on a roster that ended its season with a 27-7 record.

Baker’s postseason run marked the program’s first trip to the national tournament, and Lister said the Wildcats will be hungry for more in the coming seasons.

“Hopefully, moving forward, this is something we see every year. Hopefully we’re the kind of program every single year that’s competing to be in this national tournament,” Lister said. ” … We’re moving in the right direction, obviously, and we have much more to look forward to as we progress.”

• Wildcats fall 78-72 in Sweet 16

Men's Soccer

Jacobs leads men’s soccer into conference play

• Wildcats fall 78-72 in Sweet 16

Track finishes season by hosting conference meet

• Wildcats fall 78-72 in Sweet 16

Sports

Joyner: Sportscaster of the year

• Wildcats fall 78-72 in Sweet 16

Sports

Track honors coach Zach Kindler with meet

• Wildcats fall 78-72 in Sweet 16

Sports

Tennis ends season at conference

• Wildcats fall 78-72 in Sweet 16

Softball

Softball earns best record in history

• Wildcats fall 78-72 in Sweet 16

Golf

Men’s golf finishes sixth in the Heart

• Wildcats fall 78-72 in Sweet 16

Sports

Baker falls to MVC to end regular season

• Wildcats fall 78-72 in Sweet 16

Baseball

Central Methodist sweeps Baker

• Wildcats fall 78-72 in Sweet 16

Softball

Softball splits with Benedictine