Softball falls to Central Methodist in doubleheader

Story by Jenna Stanbrough, Writer

The Baker University softball team lost both games of a doubleheader to No. 17 Central Methodist University on Saturday, 6-5 in game one and 10-6 in game two.

The Wildcats now have a season record of 16-20 and are 6-6 in the Heart of America Athletic Conference. The ‘Cats are ranked fifth in the HAAC standings.

The Wildcats started out ahead with a five-run lead, but after “one bad inning,” head coach Jamie Stanclift said the Eagles rallied back. Sophomore pitcher Mallorie Nelson took the loss.

“I really believe that we outplayed them and did a lot of things right,” Stanclift said. “We executed and so that was kind of a heartbreaker to lose that first game.”

Senior Renata Dill went 2-3 from the plate and scored three runs, while Nelson and junior Peyton Weekly scored the other two runs.

In game two, the ‘Cats made some adjustments and came back from a five-run deficit to tie the game in the seventh inning. Freshman Katt Cooper recorded game two’s loss. Senior Brooke Plummer pitched relief in both games.

Senior third baseman Alyse Menghini had two home runs in game two, the first being a two-run bomb to give the Wildcats their first two runs of the game. Her second tied the game at 5-5 in the seventh inning.

Senior Cami Williams, Nelson, Plummer and sophomore Ilona Miller scored runs in game two.

The Wildcats faced Evangel University Thursday and split the doubleheader, falling 5-0 in game one, but coming back to defeat the Ravens 6-2 in game two.

Menghini had two hits against the Ravens in game one, while Dill, Williams and freshman Lizzie Stover had the other three. In game two, Dill, Williams and Plummer each had two hits.

The Wildcats will face Avila University at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Tuesday in Kansas City, Mo.

The team’s last home and conference game will be senior day at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. on April 23 against Benedictine College