Annual volleyball tournament helps fraternity members bond

Story by Victoria Bostick, Writer

Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity will host its annual philanthropy volleyball tournament, Spiking Out, on April 26.

“I hope our members are able to take pride in this event and enjoy the fact that we are having fun while still doing some good for our community,” junior Evan Beiser said. “This event definitely brings our chapter closer together because we all have to join together to make Spiking Out a success.”

Although the fraternity traditionally co-hosts the event with Alpha Chi Omega sorority, it is organizing the tournament alone this year. The event, which benefits Youth AIDS, will begin at 10 a.m. The price to sign up is $50, and teams can consist of six to eight players.

“The actual volleyball games, in general, hopefully sunny and warm unlike last year’s event, is what I am looking forward to the most,” sophomore Jamie Montes de Oca said.

Each team is guaranteed at least three games. During the championship game, the fraternity will also announce the raffle winners of four Royals tickets.

“I hope (the event) will show people who participate that we have the best chapter on campus,” freshman Billy Leone said.

Beiser also hopes the tournament will be challenging for the participants.

“I am really looking forward to some good competition this year,” Beiser said. “We are hoping for a lot of teams to come support us this year and for them all to bring their ‘A’ game.”

The deadline to register is April 23. To participate, email [email protected] or [email protected] or go online to www.bakersigep.com/events to register.