Faculty Senate to vote on linked-course requirement

Faculty Senate will vote Tuesday on whether to reinstate the linked-course requirement for Quest 112.

Last year, Faculty Senate voted to get rid of the linked course, meaning that freshmen were required to take only three hours of general education instead of six during their second semester.

Last year’s vote was a reaction to complaints that, with the linked course as a requirement, some math and science majors had to enroll in more than 20 hours during the second semester of their freshman year.

As a result of eliminating the requirement for a linked course, though, some other academic areas have seen decreased enrollment for their general education courses. Professor of Philosophy Donald Hatcher said his Philosophy of Religion course, which was offered as a Quest 112 link, went from 23 students last year, when the linked-course was in effect, to zero this semester.

“When we first proposed the change, I agreed because it harmed our freshman numbers,” Hatcher said during the Town Hall meeting on April 24. “But what we, in the Humanities Department, didn’t realize was the effects it would have on our own enrollments.”

Hatcher said that in his mind, having no linked courses, and consequently a limited number of students enrolled in humanities classes, diminishes the idea of a liberal arts education.

He suggests that Baker should reinstate the linked course and deal with students who run into enrollment problems on a case-by-case basis.

“By re-establishing the link, it will enhance the liberal arts education of our students,” Hatcher said. “I think a huge number of departments will see a change from it as well.”

But Professor of Biology Darcy Russell said that a case-by-case basis could mean making special arrangements for more than 100 students.

Associate Professor of Business & Economics Jody Smrha said that re-establishing a linked course may give students more breadth in their coursework, but she is not sure that it is needed.

“If we are just doing it because it’s ‘good for you’ and because we think our classes are important for students to take, that doesn’t seem sufficient as to why they should actually enroll,” Smrha said.

In fall 2015, the Educational Programs and Curriculum Committee will vote on a new list of linked courses for all Quest classes that may streamline options. Russell said that some students are able to fill all their required classes with current courses on the linked lists, but for others, it causes a problem. She hopes that this new list will help solve that issue.

But until then, Assistant Professor of History Leonard Ortiz hopes that the senate votes to reinstate the links for next year for the benefit of the majority of Baker students.

“Students have this moment of synergy in their linked classes where they make a connection between the two classes,” Ortiz said. “I think there is a way to help science students that doesn’t harm everyone else in the school.”