Former Wildcats Baxter and Murphy aim for NFL

Dillon Baxter, former Baker University and University of Southern California running back, has begun working out for the defending Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks to begin his bid to find a roster spot on an NFL team.

Meanwhile, Joel Murphy, former Baker University tight end, has been invited to try out for a spot in the Carolina Panthers summer camp. Murphy was an All-HAAC honorable mention selection in 2012 at tight end.

Murphy was invited to an NFL regional combine of over 5,000 athletes in Chicago. He was one of only 250 to receive an invite to an NFL Rookie Camp.

Coming out of high school, Baxter was thought to be “the next Reggie Bush.” He was the top prep player after setting a state record with 70 offensive touchdowns in his senior season and earned several honors for his performance.

He started his football career in Los Angeles at USC, where his football career was overshadowed by the bad-boy lifestyle he confesses to. Baxter started in 10 games during his freshman season but only had 252 yards in 59 carries and one touchdown.

In the middle of his sophomore season, which wasn’t looking any better than his freshman season, he was released from the team.

San Diego State football picked him up for a short while – and by short while we mean two months – before releasing him for “various reasons.”

Baxter, 5-foot-11 former all-star who was once the No. 1 ranked running back recruit in the nation, wound up in Baldwin City to play NAIA ball for head coach Mike Grossner and the Baker Wildcats.

During his two-year tenure at BU, Baxter rushed for nearly 2,000 yards, averaging 86.1 per game. Baxter helped take his team to the quarterfinals of the 2013 NAIA football national championships.

Baxter participated in a pro-day workout at Kansas State, where he may have begun to impress NFL scouts again with his 4.60 second 40-yard dash time.

Over the past few months, Baxter and Murphy have been training together at the Prolific Athletes facility in Carlsbad, Calif. The two were accompanied by former Baker University wide receiver Kyle Bolton and 2012 Heisman Trophy Award winner Johnny Manziel.