Visiting professor feels at home

He’s lived in many different places in the United States, from New York to Tennessee. But none of these states compare to Kansas, where Visiting Assistant Professor of Spanish David Lisenby, Ph.D., “feels most at home.”

Whether teaching or schooling, Lisenby has made his way through many states, only to stop here at Baker to fill in for Professor of Spanish Sandra Schumm who is on sabbatical this year. Lisenby will be teaching all of Schumm’s Spanish courses at the 200-level and above.

“I was eager to get back in this area,” Lisenby said. “I’m really enjoying the class sizes and getting to know the students well just in these first few days.”

Lisenby attended graduate school at the University of Kansas, where he earned his doctorate. Upon graduating from KU, he began teaching Spanish and has continued to do so for the past 11 years.

His first impression of Baker was that most students are involved in many activities on campus, and views this as a “unique and positive” trait of the university.

“I’m looking forward to learning personally from the experience of teaching a wide variety of courses at Baker and getting involved,” Lisenby said. “I’m thrilled to be here.”

Sophomore Kristen Finger thinks Lisenby will do well at Baker and by the end of the semester he will have students who are encouraged and enthusiastic about Spanish.

“I think he demonstrates a lot of patience and understanding toward students,” Finger said. “He’s relaxed, but firm, which gives us the confidence to grow in our Spanish ability.”

Lisenby will be continuing the out-of-class activities Schumm helped with, too, including the Spanish table in the cafeteria and hosting film nights.

Senior Jacob Mogle is in one of Lisenby’s Spanish classes and foresees him fitting in well at the university.

“Professor Lisenby is going to find a lot of success at Baker,” Mogle said. “His teaching style promotes fun and learning side by side, which is exactly what Baker’s language department needs.”