Greek life coordinator leaves BU

Story by Mykaela Cross, Assistant Editor

Jennifer Letner has left her position as Baker University fraternity and sorority life coordinator. Her last day as a member of the Student Affairs staff was Aug. 1.

“I’m going to be spending more time on my design projects and attending more family events,” Letner said.

Letner’s role on campus involved working with the Greek houses and interacting with fraternities and sororities. Throughout her three years at Baker, Letner spent her time coordinating events, aiding with communication between houses and responding to Greek life inquiries.

Jennifer Letner, former fraternity and sorority life coordinator, runs in the Pink Out 5K on May 4. The event was hosted by Zeta Tau Alpha sorority.Jordan Ratterman

Senior Ben Sobek, who is recruitment chair of both Zeta Chi and the Inter-Fraternity Council (IFC) this year, said he is upset to see Letner go. Because of his heavy Greek involvement, Sobek was able to interact with Letner more than most students.

“She’s always been very personable and understanding,” Sobek said. “She always had her door open and always wanted to talk.”

Though Letner held a position of authority in the Greek system, Sobek admired her for her open-mindedness, mentorship and positive attitude. Sobek said she was one of the friendliest Baker staff members.

Dean of Students Cassy Bailey, who has taken over Letner’s role while she works through the search process for a replacement, also really enjoyed having Letner as a part of the Baker family.

“Jennifer is one of those really rare finds,” Bailey said. “I really have only admiration for her.”

Hearing about Letner’s plans to leave was an emotional moment for Bailey.

“I’ll be honest, I cried,” Bailey said. “But I’m happy for her.”

Director of Student Life Randy Flowers was hired alongside Letner and worked next door to her while she was here. The two also worked together for many Baker events.

“Jen was a go-getter,” Flowers said. “She was always willing to devote time to developing the program and the student leaders here at Baker.”

Flowers said he will miss the amazing coworker and friend that Letner was. He not only enjoyed having her next door, but Flowers also considered Letner to be a good influence.

“She taught me to never let someone else shape who I am,” Flowers said.

In addition to her accomplishments in the Greek system, Letner leaves behind other examples of her presence for present and future students to enjoy, including the athletic murals she hand painted in the Collins Center.

“I’ll miss students, but I’m still around,” Letner said. “I’m still an alumni, and I live in Baldwin.”