Volleyball sweeps Baker Invitational

Story by Hayley Morrical, Writer

After its home opening tournament, the BU volleyball team tacked four more wins onto its record. The successful weekend in Collins Center brought the team’s overall record to 8-4. Hannah Bettge sets for Danielle French during the Baker Invitational. The Wildcats won all four of their matches Sept. 5-6 in the Collins Center.Madison Armoneit

Baker won its first match of the Baker Invitational tournament against John Brown University, 25-19, 25-20, and 25-16. The ‘Cats walked away with a high number of digs by sophomore setter Hannah Bettge, senior Sara Slater and junior Kaysha Green.

Following the match against John Brown, Baker took down Doane University in four sets, 25-19, 22-25, 25-14, 25-23. Dig statistics went into the double digits again for both Slater and freshman Kallie Fischer. Junior Natalie Minchow led the team with 11 kills.

The Wildcats started out Saturday with a win over Morningside University in three sets, 25-18, 28-26, and 25-19. Defensively, Baker stood strong throughout the match. The team racked up a total of 60 digs.

Finishing off the tournament, Sterling offered up a challenge for the Wildcats all five sets. Baker took the first set, lost the next two, and fought to win the last two sets against the Warriors.

In the final match, Bettge delivered 44 assists, 26 digs, and 10 kills combined. Slater joined Bettge to help top the list with 22 digs. Both senior Shannon McCarthy and sophomore Haleigh Offield yielded double digit kills to help bring the team kill percentage to .421.

The Wildcats will return to its home court on Friday against Ottawa University. The JV squad will begin at 5:30 p.m. with varsity to follow at 7:30.