Homecoming week debuts new structure

Story by Mykaela Cross, Assistant Editor

The new year moves forward by bringing back old memories. At least, that is what Baker University students will be celebrating with the fall 2014 Homecoming. The event, themed “Lasting Traditions Bring New Beginnings,” will differ from years past in that the competitions will be class against class in order to promote more all-inclusive spirit events.

Sophomore Luke Miltz, this year’s public relations chairman for both Zeta Chi fraternity and the Student Senate, is a big fan of Homecoming week and believes it is a chance to do more than just play games and have fun.

“I think that Homecoming is a unifying event to celebrate,” Miltz said. “It’s a time when we generate school spirit and have pride in our university.”

Though this year will still feature events much like Homecomings in the past, such as Miltz’s favorite, Skit Night, the competitors will be the four classes; freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors.

Miltz supports the idea of having the classes compete instead of campus organizations such as Greek houses and sports teams.

“I really appreciate the changes in Homecoming plans for this year because it takes away the focus on Greeks and athletics and brings us all together,” Miltz said.

In addition to the new competitive form, the 2014-15 Homecoming will feature a night of Powder Puff Football, when the freshmen and seniors who registered to play will be on the same team and take on the sophomore and junior teams.

Junior Ashley Riniker is in charge of organizing the Student Activities Council hosted events throughout the week. She is most looking forward to Powder Puff football but also enjoys the BU Showdown event.

“There’s going to be musical chairs, tug of war, knock-out competition, and a relay (at BU Showdown),” Riniker said. “While all of that is going on, we’re going to try and have a trivia competition about Baker to celebrate tradition.”

Other familiar activities such as window painting and other BU pride events will also be taking place this year.

As a member of SAC, Riniker’s mission was to try and incorporate all of campus into the Homecoming celebration and remove the “Greek Week feel” that has been associated with Homecoming. Since this is the first year trying out this new idea, she hopes that this will be a smooth test run that may turn into a “loved tradition.”

“I think this year is going to be hard to figure out how to organize the whole event and involve everyone,” Riniker said. “It’s kind of like a work in progress, but I’m really hoping this year will be the rough start that will get much better and become a Baker spirit tradition.

Students are not the only ones getting fired up about Homecoming. Director of Student Life Randy Flowers believes that the tradition is something that allows students to celebrate their University’s history and show pride and spirit for the campus.

“This is a week to reflect on the history of the University through engaging the students to celebrate,” Flowers said.

Flowers’ favorite part of Homecoming is seeing the royalty candidates.

“It gives credit to the students who’ve put in time and helped to push their college career that they are now being recognized as a top leader at Baker University,” Flowers said.

Flowers, Riniker, and Miltz would all recommend that students take part in the events during the week and share their Baker spirit.

“Get involved as much as you can,” Miltz said. “If you come to Baker and do nothing but study you’re missing out on valuable student life experiences.”

The “Lasting Traditions Bring New Beginnings” theme will emphasize the importance of Baker’s road to its status quo.

“Baker is full of history and traditions. There is a lot to our campus that many don’t realize and we want to take a moment to recognize our past that got us to where we are, and use those traditions to excel in our future,” Flowers said. “There is a lot of change happening at Baker, and while we emphasize the positive changes, it’s important to remember that past.”