Union renovations to be complete by inauguration

The final leg of phase two of the Long Student Center renovations is scheduled to be complete the week of Oct. 30. The project will include a functional patio space outside the building.

The area will be named the Hartley Terrace in recognition of Ross and Christine Hartley, who generously donated to the renovation project. Ross Hartley graduated from Baker in 1970.

“I am hoping students gain a multipurpose area where they can socialize, study, enjoy refreshments or just hang out and enjoy the space,” Jeremy Portlock, director of the physical plant and facility operations, said.

Director of University Budget and Auxiliary Services Darla Prather has been a part of the patio project and hopes it can become a new venue for student activities. Prather said there will be speakers available for outdoor music or events, anything the community designs with the patio in mind.

“I am hoping it will work for the Student Activities Council to do some programming out there,” Prather said.

Six tables will be available on the patio for students to use year-round, with five to six seats each. Prather foresees it being an overflow space from the new coffee shop, which has been popular among the Baker community. The patio and seating will also be handicap accessible.

“It expands seating a little bit from the (Daily Grind),” Prather said. “It has been exciting to see how full that space is.”

Portlock and the construction crew are hoping for substantial completion by Oct. 30, in time for inauguration events. With a full campus, the crew anticipates being able to show off the new and improved outdoor area for campus visitors, aside from clean-up and possible landscaping.

Prather is excited to give the Baker community yet another place to meet on campus.

“I am hoping it will give [students] a new place to gather,” Prather said. “I think it will be a beautiful place to sit in the spring and in the fall.”