Soccer teams take on conference rival

Story by Antonio Adgers, Writer

The Baker University women’s soccer team defeated the Mid-America Nazarene University Pioneers 1-0 on Tuesday at Liston Stadium. This victory puts the Wildcats at 8-5 on the year and 1-2 in the HAAC.

“We came out ready to fight for the win,” senior midfielder Alexa Fryer said. “The fact that we got the win against MNU made it really sweet.”

After a scoreless first half, the Baker women scored the only goal of the game in the 64th minute with a shot from senior midfielder, Ashley Mauck. Mauck’s goal came off of an assist from sophomore forward Krista Hooper.

The Wildcats will take on Graceland University at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 18, in Lamoni, Iowa, and they’re ready for the match-up.

“We’re focused,” Fryer said. “We just have to come out relentless and ruthless. We need to make them play our game and not theirs.”

The Baker University men’s soccer team battled Mid-America Nazarene University in a 110-minute overtime game that resulted in a 1-1 draw on Tuesday at Liston Stadium. The result of this game puts the Wildcats at 5-6-2 on the year and 1-1-1 in the HAAC. MNU is ranked No. two in the country, and this tie game gave the Baker men hope that they could do better for the remainder of the season.

“This game was probably the most unified team effort we’ve given all season,” sophomore midfielder Matt Hamm said. “Even though we tied, it still shows what we can do for the rest of the season.”

Baker scored in the 20th minute from sophomore midfielder Jordan Thacker. Then, in the 57th minute, MNU scored the tying goal.

“I feel like we left chances on the table,” Hamm said. “We defended well because they didn’t really have a chance to score, but we created a ton. We just didn’t put them away.”

The Baker men will face Graceland University following the women’s game Saturday at 7:30 p.m.