Student entrepreneur starts at BU

It’s been said before that coffee is the drink of college students, but junior Sean Driskill is hoping to change that to a more, well, European tradition.

Driskill has concocted Momma D’s Medicinal Tea as a replacement for the well-known and well-used drug Adderall. According to Driskill, the tea is made up of a natural organic compound of herbs that stimulate the brain to release more chemicals naturally, while working at an enhanced rate.

“The biggest thing we have found among college campuses is the abuse of self-prescribed Adderall that all students are using nowadays,” Driskill said. “Half of the people don’t even know the effects that it has on the body and with the brain overall. We would like to introduce (the tea) to Baker and allow people to try it and see what they think.”

The name behind the drink came from Driskill’s mother.

“My mom was the one who hooked me on hot tea alone. She always had hot tea or was always willing to make it,” Driskill said. “Her family comes from Boston and so they love tea in general.”

Driskill’s family isn’t the only party interested in the contents of his coffee mug.

Driskill spent the past summer at the Kauffman Center, meeting investors and speaking with potential clients, and he snagged a potential deal with a health food distributor. Driskill plans to sign a contract with the distributor upon graduation and work full-time at the company.

“By the time I graduate, my goal is to have the company ready to launch,” Driskill said.

To fund his venture, he recently bought a franchise called College Pro Painters.

“Right now I’m just trying to make money and find investors to help back Momma D’s Medicinal Tea,” Driskill said.

Driskill’s friends show him support and some even hope to be involved with the company someday.

“I hope he accomplishes all of his goals, and I know he will,” senior Michael Stevenson said. “Sean is ambitious and when he has his mind set on something he is going to get it done whether he has help or not. I’m excited to see what the future holds for Sean. I know there’s nothing but blessings and prosperity coming his way.”

Junior Alex Baird recognizes the work that Driskill will need to put in, but thinks he will be up to the task.

“I don’t have any doubts that his business will take off here very shortly,” Baird said. “It’s going to take a lot of work and effort, but he is a very driven person.”

Driskill’s goal for his company is for him to see revenue as soon as he graduates. He wants the tea to be sold in convenience stores, gas stations, Wal-Mart and GNC.

Driskill said that the hardest part of the adventure is that everything is a risk, and there are no guarantees. With hard work and a little elbow grease, he hopes to see success.

“The only way this company will be successful is with the work I put in myself,” Driskill said. “I have to go out and do everything on my own. All the work is on me and I can’t rely on someone else to do it.”